Preservation Action, Action Alert
February 17, 2017 →
Action Alert: Historic Tax Credit Improvement Act Introduced in House and Senate
The Historic Tax Credit Improvement Act was introduced in House (H.R 1158) and the Senate (S. 425) this week. Encourage your members of Congress to sign on as a cosponsor today!
This week, Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) and Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD) introduced the Historic Tax Credit Improvement Act (S.425). Companion legislation (H.R 1158) was also introduced in the House by Rep. Mike Kelly (R-PA) and Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR). The legislation, similar to bills introduced in previous congresses, would improve and enhance the Federal Rehabilitation Tax Credit program.The bill would further encourage the rehabilitation of historic buildings and make more historic properties eligible to use the tax credit, including smaller projects.
While this legislation is a positive step, it does not eliminate the ongoing threat the historic tax credit program posed by tax reform efforts. Both the Trump Administration and congressional leaders have identified tax reform as top priority and based on the Tax Reform Blueprint released by House Republicans last summer, tax credit programs like the Historic Tax Credit, are being targeted for elimination. The Historic Tax Credit Improvement Act provides an alternative plan for the HTC, by expanding the program and making it more effective. Introduction of the HTCIA also allows members of Congress to positively demonstrate their support of the HTC. We encourage you to reach out to your Representative and Senators and ask them to sign on as a to the Historic Tax Credit Improvement Act. Our partners at the National Trust for Historic Preservation have created an easy to use tool to send a customizable letter to your members requesting their support.
Are your members of congress already signed on as cosponsors? Take a moment to thank them for standing up for the historic tax credit.
- Rep. Mike Kelly (R-PA)
- Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR)
- Rep. Mike Turner (R-OH)
- Rep. Steven Palazzo (R-MS)
- Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-MS)
- Rep. Cedric Richmond (D-LA)
- Rep. Terri Sewell (D-AL)
- Rep. Gregg Harper (R-MS)
- Rep. Patrick Meehan (R-PA)
- Rep. David Reichert (R-WA)
- Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX)
- Rep. Ron Kind (D-WI)
- Rep. Bradley Byrne (R-AL)
- Rep. Niki Tsongas (D-MA)
- Rep. James McGovern (D-MA)
- Rep. Suzanne Delbene (D-WA)
- Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC)
- Rep. Patrick Tiberi (R-OH)
Historic Tax Credit
As you know, the Historic Tax Credit (HTC) is the most significant federal financial commitment to historic preservation. Over the last 36 years, the credit has created 2.3 million jobs, leveraged $117 billion in investment, and rehabilitated more than 41,250 buildings – all while generating enough in federal taxes to pay for itself. Now we need your help to protect the HTC.
- Urge your members of congress to cosponsor the Historic Tax Credit Improvement Act (H.R 1158, S. 425).
- Join us March 14th-16th in Washington D.C for Advocacy Week 2017! Advocacy Week is our best chance to have a mass impact on policymakers in support of the Historic Tax Credit and other historic preservation priorities. Register Today!
- If you can’t join for Advocacy Week, meet with your members in-district. Schedule a site visit of HTC project, so they can see first hand the impact the federal HTC program has on local communities.